Saturday, February 14, 2009

First Blog and First Day of School

I arrived here in this green paradise filled with college students just a few days ago, on February 11th, and will be staying here for the next two months before heading back to the states. Kirsten and I crossed the border on February 9th and spent two nights in La Paz before taking a three hour bus ride to the town of Coroico and then a 45 minute minibus ride, known as a combi ride in Ecuador and Peru, to the town of Carmen Pampa. From the moment we got past some frustrating parts of crossing the border and we were on the way to La Paz, I knew I was going to love this country. I can't quite explain it but there is a feeling in the air, and inside me, that is unlike anything else.

Unidad Académica Campesina de Carmen Pampa is a college in rural Bolivia founded on the concept of providing a higher education to young people from rural communities and generating social and economic change through community-centered education. I couldn't help being excited when I first read that the college was a "catalyst of change" and that the students were "agents of change." Could this place really be for real? The answer is yes. The energy of the students, staff, and volunteers was evident from the first day. The bonus part for me was that it is all located in beautiful green mountains.

In between touring and meeting people, I have had a lot of time to reflect on the journey that has led me here. It all started as a dream, inspired by my gramma, who taught in Bolivia when she was a few years younger than I am now, and my great-great uncle has been a priest in Bolivia for the last 45 years or so. After saving money and quitting my job, Kirsten and I hopped on a plane to Ecuador on August 6th with a one-way ticket and only a month of our trip planned out. It all began in a similar green paradise called Marianitas, teaching English to the 6 amazing women of Colibris, a women's artisan cooperative, (while organic gardening and making jewelry). After that, we headed to Misahualli, Ecuador to teach English in two indigenous communities and clean caterpillar poop in a butterfly garden. In month four, we settled down in the dry, hot city of Arequipa, Peru to work with street children, talking, playing, and helping with homework. When we found this program at Carmen Pampa, it seemed to be everything we were looking for, and in the last few days I have not been disappointed.

We were lucky that our schedule matched up with Carmen Pampa's, because on day two we were able to witness the inauguration ceremonies of the new school year. The student body of approximately 700 gathered in the square outside before going into the church for mass and an official welcoming. I was honored to be one of the "official" photographers so I got to whip out my camera and not feel like I was being intrusive. It was great to see all the students gathered together.

This blog, my first blog ever, will be dedicated to sharing all that I experience and learn about during my time here. Maybe it will inspire you to save some money and hop on a plane down here.

No comments:

Post a Comment