Friday, March 20, 2009

A Day at Carmen Pampa

My days have gotten a lot more busy... which means a lot more fun. Five evenings a week, Kirsten and I teach English to fifth semester English students as a supplement to their real English class that we help out with on Wednesdays. I love working with them. It's interesting because I think that teaching English was last on my list of what I wanted to do in South America but I have ended up doing it a lot and I love it!

Three evenings a week we work in the children's library for the community children. It can be a very very interesting time. It is a small room that at times is filled with 15 kids reading books, putting together puzzles, and playing games. Jean, a volunteer who has been here for two years, has done a great job of setting this room up, filling it with books and games, and teaching children how to use a library. The idea of signing out a book and returning it later is a new idea for the children. They are thrilled to walk out with the book in their hands. These are the children that we have been greeting and talking with outside since we got here, so it is wonderful to spend more quality time with them. I have been playing chess with the older boys around. They are really good but I've been able to hold my ground. I think it's the new thing to try to beat me. It's been great to walk down the road and see all the children that come into the library. We know their names and sometimes they know ours. Usually they call us "hermana" for sister, because they connect all foreigners to the nuns in the area that have had such a positive impact on the community, especially Sister Damon who founded the college.

One evening a week, and every other Friday, we teach English to the "Pre" students. I have my very own class, my first ever. The "Pre" are students who didn't pass the entrance exam to the school, but got the best scores on the test. They are attending the college this year in order to hopefully start next year. This gives them the chance to catch up to other students and start their studies at a good level. My students will surpass all the students next year in English, I'm sure. Prisca, the friend we first met in Ecuador who is now here at Carmen Pampa, has been helping me with class and will stay with the teacher who takes over when I leave. She is currently living in a dorm with 39 of the "Pre" girls, an experience I am sure she will never forget.
Between these activities, I have done some 1:1 English lessons with students and we are continuing are interviewing project with thesis students. I love the 1:1s because you get to know the students on a different level.

No comments:

Post a Comment