Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Goodbye Celebration

Fifth Semester Tourism Students in English Class


One of the things that I like most about the countries we have been to is the formal closure that they do. Sometimes the formal introductions can get repetitive but I have loved the way they say thank you and goodbye. For me, saying goodbye is very hard, but the celebrations make it easier. Every place we have volunteered has done a great job with this and it's such a great way to tie everything up. Prisca told me a saying they have in Germany: to leave with one eye crying and one eye laughing. I love how that sums it up. I am very sad to say goodbye but very happy with all the experiences I have had here and the people I have met.

Today we had our last English class with the tourism students and at the end they threw a party, complete with food, music, speeches, and dancing. Every single person signed my cast and they even signed it for the students who had already left for home for Holy Week. I will be able to remember them every time I look down for the next three weeks. Throughout the fiesta there was music playing. They started with some songs from the 80s and then Joanna told us they had played that to make us feel comfortable but they were wondering if we wanted to listen to Bolivian music. Of course we said yes, and then the dancing began, and later they gave us a CD of the Bolivian music. One of the best parts was when they had us hold a wild pig. At first I said no way, but then it kind of cuddled up to me as I held it. Kirsten didn't manage to hold it because it wiggled too much and freaked her out. The students loved the whole scene.

At the end, each student came up and said a formal goodbye and thank you and gave us a hug and a kiss. I got a lot of "take care of yourself" and"good luck with your leg." Everyone asked when we are coming back. When we have left the other experiences, it's been especially hard because I knew I wouldn't be coming back, but here at Carmen Pampa I will leave with the idea that I will return someday.

1 comment: